• Are the expensive moubtain bikes worth it?

• Local milk person
    • Local milk person
    • Re: Are the expensive moubtain bikes worth it?
      Posted 08/04/2017 11:48 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      :smh:
      \
      That's the whole fucking point, retard.

For OP a new bike with all the fancy shit people use on challenging trails is a complete waste of money. He needs a basic bike that runs well, wheels are true, old style brakes work as they should, the seat is comfortable, gears change smoothly and nothing squeeks. Oil on the chain. Some lights for the evening. That's it.

really?
    •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
    • Local milk person
      Posted 08/05/2017 01:55 AM - Hide
    • . posted:
      . posted:
      :smh:
      \
      That's the whole fucking point, retard.

For OP a new bike with all the fancy shit people use on challenging trails is a complete waste of money. He needs a basic bike that runs well, wheels are true, old style brakes work as they should, the seat is comfortable, gears change smoothly and nothing squeeks. Oil on the chain. Some lights for the evening. That's it.

really?

OP's problem is not the equipment but his lack of opportunity/motivation/will(?) to bike.
    • Local milk person
      Posted 08/05/2017 01:58 AM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Steel frame? :lol: either aluminum or carbon.

Modern steel frames are strong AND light. Some ppl prefer them over al
    • Local milk person
      Posted 08/05/2017 01:59 AM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Steel frame? :lol: either aluminum or carbon.

Modern steel frames are strong AND light. Some ppl prefer them over aluminum.
    • Local milk person
    • Local milk person
    • Local milk person
      Posted 08/12/2017 03:56 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      . posted:
      Modern steel frames are strong AND light. Some ppl prefer them over al

why?

I can't claim I fully understand their argument, but the statements I've heard from bike racers were that they are more responsive and less (or more??) flexible. Whatever.

I have an aluminum and a steel bike I built myself around a discarded but a good quality Specialized frame. Both have nice components etc, both are v. good bikes, but the steel framed bike is the one that gets used a lot more than the other one. It's just the way it feels on the road... could be the frame or minute differences in size and setup, who knows.
      Posted 08/12/2017 03:58 PM - Hide
    • My thinking is absolutely no. If the bike is sub-standard, you get to hire a Juice lawyer and sue the manufacturer and retire for life. If the bike is adequate, all you are buying is less exercise. The more efficient a bike is, the less calories you burn, and thus less effective as an exercise. It is a con, not an advantage.
  • Join the discussion - There is no registration required!

Name: (Optional)
Save   Sage/No Bump
Photo: (Optional)

If you want to embed media, just paste YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Liveleak, Imgur (IMAGE or GIFV) links and they'll auto embed.
Pro tips: Click the angry emojis for popular emoticons/fomotes. Check the trending fomotes for new fomotes.