• "Henry they're gonna break through the barrier and get us " - Nixon to Kissinger in 1971

• Stable Genius
      • Posted 03/17/2016 06:32 PM - Hide
      • See that gen x and y. That's right out of Kissinger's biography. Nixon said that when the White house had been surrounded by anti war protestors. They were scared shitess.

That the difference between us boomers and you wimps.
      •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
      • Stable Genius
      • Re: "Henry they're gonna break through the barrier and get us " - Nixon to Kissinger in 1971
        Posted 03/17/2016 08:10 PM - Hide
      • . posted:
        "Henry they're gonna break through the barrier and get us." Nixon said that when the White house had been surrounded by anti war protestors. They were scared shitess. That the difference between us boomers and you wimps.
        \
        :insane:

Surreal meeting between Nixon, protesters.

On a Spring day in 1970, just five days after National Guard troops opened fire on anti-war demonstrators at Kent State University, a restless president awoke in the pre-dawn hours, strolled to the Lincoln sitting room, and sat down to listen to some music. He asked his attendant if he had ever seen the Lincoln Memorial at night, then led a small entourage on an unplanned visit to the Lincoln Memorial, where he talked to young anti-war protesters.

"I have never seen the Secret Service quite so petrified with apprehension," Nixon said a few days later. "I insisted however no press be informed and that nobody in our office be informed."

"I'm telling you this is beyond belief," enthused Timothy Naftali, director of the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum. "If Hollywood created this, you wouldn't believe it."

Nixon's trip to the Lincoln Memorial.

His car arrived at the memorial about 4:40 a.m., and he walked up the steps to the Lincoln statue. He showed his White House attendant, a recent citizen, the engraved inscriptions that surround the monument. "By this time, a small groups of students began to congregate in the rotunda of the memorial," he said. "I walked over to a group of them and shook hands. They were not unfriendly. As a matter of fact they seemed somewhat over-awed and of course quite surprised."

To "get the conversation going," Nixon asked how many had been to Washington before. "I said, 'I know you, probably most of you think I'm an SOB, but, ah, I want you to know that I understand just how you feel."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/10/politics/nixon-lincoln-memorial/

President Richard Nixon's surreal meeting with anti-Vietnam War protesters at the Lincoln Memorial one night more than four decades ago.

It's hard to imagine an American president in this intensely security-conscious age leaving the White House in the middle of the night to meet protesters on their turf.

It happened in May 1970. President Richard Nixon was under intense criticism for widening the Vietnam War to Cambodia. Four Kent State University students had been killed by National Guardsmen just days before. Thousands of young protesters quickly mobilized and headed to Washington, D.C.

Around 4:00 a.m. on May 9, Mr. Nixon abruptly decided to surprise a group gathered at the Lincoln Memorial.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/white_house-july-dec11-nixontapes_11-25/

•   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
      • Join the discussion - There is no registration required!

Name: (Optional)
      Save
      Photo: (Optional)

You currently have 0 points left to use for premium emotes/fomotes.
      If you want to embed media, just paste YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, Liveleak, Giphy, PostImages.org, Imgur (IMAGE or GIFV) links and they'll auto embed.
      Pro tips: Click the angry emojis for popular emoticons/fomotes. Check the trending fomotes for new fomotes.
      • Uncensored News:
      • View Topic - "Why is Henry Kissinger walking around free?"
      • View Topic - Could Henry Kissinger be the most evil "American" who ever lived?
      • View Topic - Dr. Henry Kissinger, thank you for joining us today. Welcome home.
      • View Topic - Dr. Henry Kissinger, thank you for joining us today. Welcome home. (Applause.) As you all know, Dr. Kissinger has yet another bo
      • View Topic - Peacemaker Henry Kissinger still alive and selling books on Charlie Rose
      • View Topic - Hillary Clinton Calls Henry Kissinger a Friend, Praises His Commitment to Democracy