• Name your favourite painting

• Fscking Moron
    • Re: Name your favourite painting
      Posted 10/11/2017 08:20 AM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Looks like you wouldn't need to superimpose the retard "winner" onto this guy's face. It looks like someone already did.

Name your favourite painting #1

He liked self portraits, the retard look is his own rendition of himself.
    •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 10/11/2017 08:24 AM - Hide
    • olivia pope posted:
      fuck me. somebody pitchs HBO to make this into a new TV show.

;allthis;
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 10/11/2017 08:45 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      . posted:
      . posted:
      . posted:

Here is the Hiroshige's original "The Plum Garden in Kameido":

Here is van Gogh's copy titled "Flowering Plum Tree (after Hiroshige)":

Name your favourite painting #2

Hiroshige's version is vastly superior, proving for once and all time that van Gogh was a hack who couldn't even copy right.
      \
      ;yuofag4;

Posts like this are why I keep coming back to the red boards.

:thumbup:

You can see the depth of Hiroshige's painting. The detail is unmatched by van Gogh. van Gogh's rendition looks like just a step above a comic book rendition.
      \
      :wigger:

And now the droolers come in with nothing to add except their cartoons.
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 10/11/2017 08:52 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Renoir - Luncheon Of The Boating Party

Unfortunately they "cleaned" it in the 1950s and destroyed it. :cry: It is supposed to look more like this which I think is from a 1950ish color photo, but film wasn't that good then.
      http://www.nonprints.com/uploadpic/Pierre%20Auguste%20Renoir/big/The%20Boating%20Party%20Lunch.jpg

I just want to be there and play with those girls and lead one into the woods, which is what they did after that amazing lunch.

i like the "cleaned" version better. the original looks like someone put the picture on an old TV and turned the "color" knob too far to the red.
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 10/11/2017 09:00 PM - Hide
    • Lady_J_Admirer posted:
      So, who is the artist? Or, are you just a liar like the Trumpster kid?

Meh. I am the guy who buys all this guys paintings so I might as well give my name if I give the artist. The expert at Christies responsible for this 19th century style contacts me each time they get one in. I have copies of all the artists writings and know every one of his major and moderately important paintings (he has a few hundred of those and a lot of really small ones that there is no list of). Sometimes I can give them some history they may not know or I can tell them if I think there is a problem.

There are two blatantly obvious fakes that went up to auction over the years. One I didn't catch, the other I let them know of an explained and they pulled it. Another one had obviously been damaged in one area and the repaired incorrectly (missing people that were in the original, likely to fix a damaged area). They pulled that one as well. I haven't bought any in the last few years even though they've come up because I already have enough money in it and my house is contemporary/modern.

I can't stand the modern artists or the impressionists. They all look like shit to me. Some of the Salon painters were really good. Bougeuraeu, for instance (and his wife). But he wasn't good with his varnish/oils and they have cracked over time. And they are really big.
      Posted 10/11/2017 09:06 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Meh. I am the guy who buys all this guys paintings so I might as well give my name if I give the artist. The expert at Christies responsible for this 19th century style contacts me each time they get one in. I have copies of all the artists writings and know every one of his major and moderately important paintings (he has a few hundred of those and a lot of really small ones that there is no list of). Sometimes I can give them some history they may not know or I can tell them if I think there is a problem.

There are two blatantly obvious fakes that went up to auction over the years. One I didn't catch, the other I let them know of an explained and they pulled it. Another one had obviously been damaged in one area and the repaired incorrectly (missing people that were in the original, likely to fix a damaged area). They pulled that one as well. I haven't bought any in the last few years even though they've come up because I already have enough money in it and my house is contemporary/modern.

I can't stand the modern artists or the impressionists. They all look like shit to me. Some of the Salon painters were really good. Bougeuraeu, for instance (and his wife). But he wasn't good with his varnish/oils and they have cracked over time. And they are really big.

Great troll. :thumbup:
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 10/11/2017 09:07 PM - Hide
    • . posted:

Hiroshige's version is vastly superior, proving for once and all time that van Gogh was a hack who couldn't even copy right.
      \
      ;yuofag4;

You can see the depth of Hiroshige's painting. The detail is unmatched by van Gogh. van Gogh's rendition looks like just a step above a comic book rendition.
      \

Thanks for adding those emotes, Brian Sewell. Do you care to explain further?

I think Van Gogh's version looks like a half-arsed collaboration between five or six mediocre art students who entered and left the studio individually.
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 10/11/2017 11:42 PM - Hide
    • Jimmy_Tomorrow posted:
      . posted:
      . posted:
      Renoir - Luncheon Of The Boating Party

Unfortunately they "cleaned" it in the 1950s and destroyed it. :cry: It is supposed to look more like this which I think is from a 1950ish color photo, but film wasn't that good then.
      http://www.nonprints.com/uploadpic/Pierre%20Auguste%20Renoir/big/The%20Boating%20Party%20Lunch.jpg

I just want to be there and play with those girls and lead one into the woods, which is what they did after that amazing lunch.

i like the "cleaned" version better. the original looks like someone put the picture on an old TV and turned the "color" knob too far to the red.

It still looks pretty good to me.
      \

:lol:

Well played. However, the old version with it's deepened foray into the "red zone" more accurately depicts a smudged version than the cleaned one.
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 10/11/2017 11:51 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      . posted:
      . posted:
      . posted:
      . posted:

Here is the Hiroshige's original "The Plum Garden in Kameido":

Here is van Gogh's copy titled "Flowering Plum Tree (after Hiroshige)":

\
      ;yuofag4;

\

And now the droolers come in with nothing to add except their cartoons.

Pompous Canadian fag says what?
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 10/11/2017 11:52 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      . posted:

\
      ;yuofag4;

\

Thanks for adding those emotes, Brian Sewell. Do you care to explain further?

I think Van Gogh's version looks like a half-arsed collaboration between five or six mediocre art students who entered and left the studio individually.
      No one cares what you think, art critic.
    • Fscking Moron
      Posted 10/12/2017 12:04 AM - Hide
    • . posted:
      No one cares what you think, art critic.

Of course they don't.

:winner: <YOU
      /
      I WIN
      Posted 10/12/2017 12:08 AM : Edited 10/12/2017 12:12 AM - Hide
    • . posted:

Well played. However, the old version with it's deepened foray into the "red zone" more accurately depicts a smudged version than the cleaned one.

Heh. I didn't know anything about the damage to the piece until this thread. But I found an article about it that is pretty cool: http://artwatch.org.uk/an-unreported-tragedy-picassos-warning-a-dog-that-didnt-bark-fried-peaches-and-coloured-cleaning-swabs-the-sheldon-kecks-unexamined-restoration-of-the-luncheon/

That may well be the source of the before/after pics above. It makes an interesting sidebar article.

(Apologies, it ain't copy/paste friendly)

<excerpt>One of the other guests inquired whether the gentleman had viewed the Phillips Collection's Renoir 'Boating Party' since it had been cleaned (by us, as most of those around the table knew). 'It is ruined', he said, 'ruined... the harmony of the whole has been destroyed, the glazes have all been stripped away... I stood in front of it and I wept.' </excerpt>

These guys, like Renoir, painted with how paintings age in mind. Just like a luthier makes string-instruments knowing aging is vital. They simply were never meant to be cleaned. It's like taking a Stradivarius, putting WD-40 on the tuning heads and shaving the bridge down to lower the string action, and thinking "There, I made it better".

• Fscking Moron
      Posted 10/24/2017 10:00 PM - Hide
    • Jimmy_Tomorrow posted:
      . posted:

Heh. I didn't know anything about the damage to the piece until this thread. But I found an article about it that is pretty cool: http://artwatch.org.uk/an-unreported-tragedy-picassos-warning-a-dog-that-didnt-bark-fried-peaches-and-coloured-cleaning-swabs-the-sheldon-kecks-unexamined-restoration-of-the-luncheon/

That may well be the source of the before/after pics above. It makes an interesting sidebar article.

(Apologies, it ain't copy/paste friendly)

<excerpt>One of the other guests inquired whether the gentleman had viewed the Phillips Collection's Renoir 'Boating Party' since it had been cleaned (by us, as most of those around the table knew). 'It is ruined', he said, 'ruined... the harmony of the whole has been destroyed, the glazes have all been stripped away... I stood in front of it and I wept.' </excerpt>

These guys, like Renoir, painted with how paintings age in mind. Just like a luthier makes string-instruments knowing aging is vital. They simply were never meant to be cleaned. It's like taking a Stradivarius, putting WD-40 on the tuning heads and shaving the bridge down to lower the string action, and thinking "There, I made it better".

And this:
      "That the great Phillips Renoir has suffered from solvent-laden swabs is demonstrable today. Examination of the dark blue drapery of the young woman in the bottom left-hand corner of the picture shows that dissolved red paint from her (now smeared) costume's trim has been rubbed into the paint cracks like coloured ink on an etched plate. Renoir could not have rubbed dissolved paint into age cracks on his own fresh paint - so who else might have? Nor was it he who smeared the red stripes on the awning. Why, then, will the Phillips permit no-one to view the film of which Sheldon Keck boasted but of which Duncan Phillips himself spoke so remorsefully?"
  • Join the discussion - There is no registration required!

Name: (Optional)
Save
Photo: (Optional)

If you want to embed media, just paste YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, Liveleak, Imgur (IMAGE or GIFV) links and they'll auto embed.
Pro tips: Click the angry emojis for popular emoticons/fomotes. Check the trending fomotes for new fomotes.
  • Uncensored News:
  • View Topic - What is your all-time favourite girl's name? (It doesn't have to relate a real person. Just the NAME that you like the best).